The After School Program Experience
Looking to spark imaginative learning after school?
We spark imaginative learning when school is out in 2015-2016! Register on-line now through our secure portal!
Mad Science after-school programs offer children a chance to see just how cool science can be! Programs available in 6-week standard and 4-week express formats.
Sense-a-tional Science takehomes
Lights, Colour, Action! Observe how blending colours can produce white light, and then separate white light into colours. Explore the colour spectrum of various light sources and try your hand at chromatography. An optical effects Technicolor Blender take-home completes this illuminating adventure!
- Magnetic Magic Reveal the science behind magnetism mysteries. Explore magnetic attracting and repelling forces, confuse compass needles, and magnetize paper clips. Test the magnet’s gravity-defying abilities and learn about the Earth’s magnetic properties. Your Magnet Lab will keep you pointed in the right direction!
- Optical Illusions Learn how our eyes can trick our brains as a twisting coil moves in mysterious ways, and a towel turns into a dog! Manipulate flexible mirrors and explore the world with inverted vision. Create your own illusions and build your own Periscope, too!
- Watt’s Up! See sparks fly from a Van de Graaff generator and make feathers levitate by creating a static field. Generate a brilliant, hair-raising display from the repelling forces of charged atoms, then assemble your own Static Stick for some electron-jumping fun!
- Harnessing Heat Witness the practical side of heat-sensitivity— thermal paper browns under the force of a heat gun, ice cubes melt on a heat transfer block, and students participate in a tactile temperature test. A temperature-sensitive Heat Sheet extends the learning experience. [6 week program only]
- Sonic Sounds From plastic to metal to string, ordinary objects like handheld horns, metal screws, wooden ratchets and beads transform the class into a story sound-effect symphony. See how textured sheets create new sounds from the Sonic Horn take-home. [6 week program only]
(left to right): Lights, Colour, Action
- Technicolour Blender, Magnetic Magic
- Magnet Lab, Optical Illusions
- Periscope, Watt's Up
- Static Stick, Harnessing Heat
(6 week program only) - Heat Sheet, Sonic Sounds
(6 week program only) - Sonic Horn. A Mad Science After School Program t-shirt is also included with the 6-week program (not shown).
Mad Science After-School Programs
- are hands-on and inquiry-based.
- complement provincial science curriculum standards.
- are led by trained, qualified and dynamic instructors.
- follow professional lesson plans.
- use unique equipment and original materials.
- are age-appropriate and loved by children.
- offer schools, community and day care centres great value.
- are easy to plan and hassle-free to run.